CORRESPONDING DATA FOR WORKS ON PANEL & PAPER
Sources for GLASS CEILING, GLASS FLOOR: WOMEN IN LEADERSHIP
Even though women are 53% of the college-educated workforce... U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat11.htm
• Only 24% of congresspeople are women... https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/fact-sheet/the-data-on-women-leaders/
• ... and less than 9% of members of Congress are women of color. http://cawp.rutgers.edu/sites/default/files/resources/results_release_5bletterhead5d_1.pdf
• Better at the state level? Nope. 18% of state governors are women... https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/fact-sheet/the-data-on-women-leaders/
• ... and women of color represent 2% of governors http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/women-color-elective-office-2018
How’s it going for professional women?
• Only 5% of Fortune 500 CEOs are women, while... https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/fact-sheet/the-data-on-women-leaders/
• ... 93% of top executives in the Fortune 100 are men. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2017/06/07/the-number-of-women-ceos-in-the-fortune-500-is-at-an-all-time-high-of-32/?utm_term=.15a43ad89023
• Men hold 81% of S&P 1500 board seats, and lead 91% of venture capital deals. https://www.issgovernance.com/file/publications/us-board-diversity-study.pdf and http://docs.preqin.com/reports/Preqin-Women-in-Venture-Capital-December-2017.pdf
• There’s only 1 (one) openly gay woman CEO in the Fortune 500. https://fortune.com/2018/07/26/land-o-lakes-beth-ford-ceo/
• In 2016, 43% of the 150 top companies in Silicon Valley had no female executive officers. https://www.fenwick.com/FenwickDocuments/Gender_Diversity_2016.pdf
• As recently as 2013, at least 66% of Fortune 500 companies had no women of color as board directors. Zero representation. http://www.catalyst.org/system/files/2013_catalyst_census_fortune_500_women_board_director.pdf
• Women make up only 23% of STEM professionals. https://business.linkedin.com/talent-solutions/blog/trends-and-research/2017/data-reveals-how-the-percentage-of-women-in-leadership-has-changed-over-the-past-15-years
Leadership in law and medicine
• In the legal profession only 19% of equity partners are women. https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/women/a-current-glance-at-women-in-the-law-jan-2018.authcheckdam.pdf.
• In medicine, 16% of permanent medical school deans are women. https://www.aamc.org/download/481204/data/2015table10.pdf
But representation is a bit more equitable in academia? Sadly, no.
• 30% of university presidents are female. https://www.pewsocialtrends.org/fact-sheet/the-data-on-women-leaders/
• 68% percent of full professors and 73% of tenured faculty at four-year universities are male. https://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Documents/HES-Pipelines-Pathways-and-Institutional-Leadership-2017.pdf.